What Parents Need to Know
Helpful Technology Information
- myStudent Grade Book. An easy-to-use online gradebook for you to look at whenever you like. Once you have created a myStudent account for your child, you will see a list of the classes, assignments and grades.
- BrainPOP. BrainPOP is an educational website with hundreds of short movies for students covering the subjects of mathematics, technology, health, science, social studies, arts and music, and English. Username and password can be obtained through the school.
- 8:30 am - 2:50 pm JLS official time
- 8:15 - 8:35 am Grab-and-go breakfast available
ABC Program for Struggling Families
The Pasco County School District supports struggling families in difficult economic times through its Assist, Believe, and Care (ABC) Program. If your family is in need, contact the school to find out more information on how you can get some assistance which can help your child's success in the classroom.
Remember some families might qualify for Free or Reduced Lunches for their children. Information can be found here on the Pasco’s website.
Drop Off & Pick Up Carpools
The PTSA encourages parents to carpool when it comes to dropping off and picking up their children. We have heard your concerns about the traffic issues and are brainstorming possible solutions. In the meantime, organizing carpools would reduce the amount of cars trying to get in and out of the school! It has also been reported that if you pick up your child after 3:10, it is much less congested. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Students shall wear modest clothing. Sexually implicit or explicit clothing, bikinis, tank tops, leggings, leggings, sleepwear including pajamas, spandex clothing, (kinds of clothing usually worn at beaches and while engaging in recreation activities) are not appropriate for school.
- Students may wear shorts and skirts as long as they are no more than 4” above the knee. The Same rule applies to jeans with holes, leggings and dresses.
- Students’ clothing shall be worn appropriately with pants worn securely at the waist and with no abdomen/back, side skin or underwear exposed.
- Blouses, shirts, and sweaters cannot dip below a line formed between the right and left armpit. Muscle shirts, tank tops, shirts with spaghetti straps, and strapless tops or see through tops are not acceptable. Tank Tops underneath see through or lace shirts are not permitted.
- Tops must be long enough to clearly overlap the belt line or stay tucked in during the course of normal movement throughout the school day. NO underwear should be exposed.
- Students shall not wear hats or head coverings on the school campus during the regular school day unless previously approved for medical or religious reasons or special school activities by the Principal.
- Students shall wear shoes for foot protection and hygienic reasons while on school grounds or on school transportation. Slippers are not acceptable.
- Decorations, symbols, mottos, or designs imprinted or attached to the body or clothing which are offensive to good taste or the maintenance of decorum, or which advertise tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or which identify them as members of secret antisocial groups or gangs shall not be worn to school or school functions. Facial piercing (nose, mouth, lip, tongue and eyebrow) are not appropriate at Dr. John Long Middle School.
- Wallet chains or dog collars shall not be permitted.
For more details on JLMS's dress code, click here
JLMS does not have an attendance line. Please send in a note for your child regarding their absence on the first day that they return to class. Please allow 1-2 weeks for absences to show EXCUSED in eSembler
Athletics at JLMS
7th & 8th graders are able to participate in 8 interscholastic sports. Students must turn in a current physical. Upon making the team, students must pay a $45 team membership fee and a $30 per-team fee for each additional team in which the student is a member. All athletic fees are non-refundable. Stay informed through the JLMS athletic page
- Football (August)
- Volleyball (August)
- Girls (October)
- Boys (January)
- Boys (October)
- Girls (January)
- Track & Field (March)
- Cheerleading (May - prior year)
Please make sure your student is up to date with his/her shots before the new school year begins.
6th through 12th grade students:
- 4 - 5 doses DTaP
- 3 - 5 doses polio vaccine
- 2 doses MMR
- Hep B (2 - 3 Doses)
- 11 years or older: 1 dose TDaP (tetanus - diphtheria - pertussis)
- 7th - 11th grade only: 1 dose varicella or date of disease (year)
Student Meal Information
- School Menus and information about reduced meal prices
- Breakfast $1.50
- Lunch $2.60 or $3 for Alternative combo
- MySchoolBucks.com is a good way to manage paying for meals at JLMS. Create an account and don't worry about your child carrying cash.
If you want to volunteer at school, you must apply and be approved by Pasco County! Don't forget school volunteers are required to reapply online and undergo a new background check each school year.